Having delivered twice now, I feel like my hospital bag was packed completely differently the second time around (and way more in advance as I kept hearing how second deliveries happen quickly)! I found checklists for what to pack extremely helpful in not forgetting anything, and also to not pack EVERYTHING, so I wanted to share what I actually needed and used during our hospital stay! Your hospital should have all of the not-so-fun items, like disposable underwear, pads, ice packs, peri-bottles, gowns, and socks. The hospital also should have a breast pump available as well as diapers/hats/wipes/sleep sacks for your baby. The following are my recommendations for what to pack in your hospital bag to make your stay more comfortable… but this is also a very practical list! I’ve seen some lists that basically have you packing your entire house! 🙂
- – NURSING TANKS – I have so many of these nursing tanks from Target from my first pregnancy! They’re inexpensive and get the job done!
- – NURSING BRAS – This is my favorite nursing bra! I have it in the beige, black, and blush! It’s sooo comfortable and it’s wireless which is essential, especially in the hospital!
- – DARK, LOOSE-FITTING PANTS/PJS – I brought these ones and they’re seriously the SOFTEST, comfiest pants EVER (and under $17)!!! They’re perfect for your maternity leave too!
- – BREAST PADS – When your milk comes in, you can definitely leak and nothing is worse than having wet clothes from that! Go ahead and pack a few of these for the hospital! This is my favorite kind.
- – ROBE – I brought this one under $25 that matched my black pj pants! I prefer to bring a robe that’s not bulky & one that I can easily throw over a nursing tank!
- – SLIPPERS – For walking the halls or around your room! I brought these ones.
- – BREASTFEEDING PILLOW – I brought my Boppy and am so glad I did! Nursing in a hospital bed requires some strategic pillow placement and one of these helps. I’ve also heard great things about this pillow!
- – NIPPLE CREAM – Apply this after EVERY feeding! I didn’t do this with my first pregnancy and truly regretted it!!! The pain is real. This time around, I brought this kind to the hospital (it has some seriously rave reviews) and have been alternating use that one and this one (which I also love) at home! Has made a ton of difference already!
- – SNACKS – Because Lord knows you’ll be SO hungry! We packed KIND bars, apples, peanut butter crackers, etc. but we still could’ve packed more! Try to focus on healthy protein and fat-packed snacks!
- – LONG CELL-PHONE CHARGER – Because the hospital’s outlets are never really close to your bed & you’ll definitely want to have your phone charged! Here are some great charger options. 🙂
- – BLANKET – Definitely a way to make your room/bed feel more homey. Plus, you’ll likely alternate between hot/cold during your stay (thank you, hormones!) and you’ll be happy you have an extra layer when you need it.
- – PILLOW OR TOWEL FROM HOME – Although we didn’t bring either of these, hospital towels are notorious for being stiff and the pillows are known for being very thin! If you want to be super comfortable/pampered, then by all means, throw these in your car to take!
- – MUSIC SPEAKER – Calming during labor! And nice to have in your room too. We loved having our Bose during our stay!
- – CAMERA – Yes, of course you can just bring your phone! But if you have a camera, you definitely don’t want to forget this. So many precious first moments.
- – FLIP FLOPS – You will NEED these for every time you go in the bathroom! Especially when you shower! Don’t forget them 🙂
- – LIP BALM – Both hospital stays, I’ve felt like my lips get dry waaay quicker than usual! Labor/hormones/dry air… whatever it is, don’t forget your lip balm! Sure the hospital will have some as back up, but go ahead and bring your fave.
- – BASIC TOILETRIES – Nothing major! But if you want to feel semi-human, packing face wash, shampoo, conditioner, and some basic makeup (blush/bronzer, concealer, mascara)
- – GOING HOME OUTFIT FOR YOU – Again, you’ll want to be comfy! I wore these pants and this top with these tennis shoes!
- – GOING HOME OUTFIT – Something cozy, of course! But I also like to put my girls in an outfit that could be potentially become a pass-down/family heirloom! I put Ava in a sweet, polka dot one-piece from Nordstrom Baby (love all of their things!) and Ellie came home in this sweet monogrammed set (pictured, above). I also love this site for their loungewear pieces!
- – HAT – The hospital will have a hat for you but you may want to bring some of your own! Those babes definitely will need to wear one during their stay 🙂 I love these ones.
- – COMFY ONESIE – We loveee these onesies for the newborn stage because the mitten cuffs cover their sweet hands and they can be worn by itself or underneath layers!
- – SLEEPERS – Any of these comfy basics are perfect for your newborn! Get the zipper (and not the buttons) for nighttime changes though!
- – SWADDLE BLANKET – Again, the hospital will have this but I always like putting my girls in their own! I have a ton of cute swaddles but these ones are just the cutest!
- – BOWS – I’ve been such a bow lover for my girls! You’ll only have a bow on your newborn for a photo or two but you’ll definitely want to pack some options if you have a girl! Bows, pictured below: Pink Baby Bling bow, cream linen bow, and lavender bow.
- – BURP CLOTH – The softest burp cloths can be found here! You’ll definitely want to pack a burp cloth and use it for spit-ups or to wipe off their sweet face.
- – BABY NAIL CLIPPERS/SCISSORS – Because those babes come out with razor sharp nails and you’ll want to take care of those ASAP! These scissors are perfect!
Bonus: Bring some special treats/donuts/candy/etc. for your nursing staff!
Anything else that you brought to the hospital that you found helpful during your delivery stay? I’d love to hear!
You may also be interested in these posts: